GREAT. There goes that glass of red wine, all over your carpet. Or maybe your toddler dropped her chocolate on the floor, and then proceeded to stomp all over it on her way to grab a napkin. Whatever happened, you now have to clean a spill, or a general mess, as quickly as possible to avoid staining. How exciting! Right?
No worries. That’s why we’re here.
Our quick guide to cleaning up life’s little carpet messes:
1) Remove as much of the spill as possible. I know. Duh, right? But wait! You should use a white towel, because color towels tend to bleed and make the stain worse.
2) Using your handy white cloth or towel, gently press into the spill to remove as much of the liquid as possible. Do not scrub the spill. That damages the fibers of your carpet, and you have enough problems to worry about right now.
3) Add water and continue to blot the stain until the color no longer transfers to your cloth. Maybe play some soothing music, take some deep breaths, or do some yoga to remain calm in the meantime.
That should do it, but if it doesn’t….
Round Two (only necessary if stain is still visible)!
1) Mix 1 cup of warm water with 1/4 tsp. of laundry detergent and apply the solution to the spill area. That’s right. We’re going full-blown domestic scientist up in here. Side note: did you know that “domestic scientist” is actually a thing? It is, at least for some people. Who knew?
2) Let the solution sit for several minutes. Get back to your yoga and deep breathing.
3) Rinse with warm water. Soothing, right?
4) Repeat until the solution is removed from the carpet. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.
5) Place a white paper towel over the spill and weigh it down with towels. You could also make your toddler sit down on top of the towels for a few hours as a lesson. Kidding. In all seriousness though, let the pile (not the toddler) sit overnight so it can continue absorbing the liquid.
If the stain is still there, it will likely need a professional cleaning to get it all the way out of your carpet. That’s where we could come to the rescue, but we hope this guide helps with 99%, if not 100%, of your annoying daily spills.
What are some of your worst spills, or messes, that you’ve cleaned from your carpet?